The year 1851 witnessed another campaign of renovation in which the interior finishes were partly renewed. A real estate tax list for that year shows a significant jump in the valuation of Mount Pleasant, then owned by George Wilson. Prominent among Wilson’s changes were modifications to ground-floor windows. All first-floor window seats were cut out, and new trim was installed with jambs running to the floor according to fashions of the day.
In conjunction with these changes, high baseboards were installed in the west room. Remnants of plaster on the sides of the chimney show that this new base wrapped around the corners, an indication that the arched alcoves had been removed. Given these far-reaching changes, there can be no doubt that the interior had to be re-plastered, and undoubtedly new wallpaper, carpets and curtains were installed.